PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

FJ EXCLUSIVE 002: MOM & DAD



FJ: Thanks for your time James! For the uninformed punters out there, tell us how you came to be? 
I started djing in 2007 when a couple of my best buds & I were starting an awful post-punk electronic band. One of my best friends Manny was in the band, and he also had DJ equipment and spun parties throughout high school. Nothing house related though, mostly 80's, indie rock, etc. We were offered to mix for a friend’s b-day so we all decided to do it together as a band with Manny's equipment. An ass tonne of peeps headed out & it was fucking spectacular. Fast forward through a year and a half of wild house parties, and Mom & Dad was born. 

FJ: How did you land the name "Mom&Dad"?
I was on the phone with my girlfriend a few years ago offering to teach her to DJ, and I jokingly insisted upon creating a duo between the two of us. She suggested we name ourselves "DJ Mom & Dad". I thought it was so stupid that I dropped the "DJ" from it and kept it.

FJ: Is there a crazy side to Mom&Dad? Do things tend to get a bit hectic when a copious bar tab is on offer? 
I don't drink surprisingly. I've seen my dad progress from a hard-working father, to a homeless unemployed alcoholic & it's affected me greatly. I'm not here to preach though. I dgaf if any else around me drinks or does whatever. Party on!

FJ: You've been killing it in the last year with releases on the likes of Crux Records, The Legacy Kidz Club label and Ajax's Sweat It Out. What do we look forward to in the 2010 from Mom&Dad? 
A new alias that'll be a more stripped back house sound, some new original tunes & possibly a label with a couple of friends of mine. I'm looking to bring a more mature house sound to LA and cultivate a new scene. Something alluringly esoteric. Dream big!

FJ: How's it feel knowing that you rocked top spot on Brodinski's December chart for your remix of Edu K's "Ja, Mann”!?
Surreal. I remember finishing the tune on a tight schedule, so I was unsure about it. I sent the promo out and about and wasn't expecting much of a response. I had sent tunes to Brodinski that he liked previously though. He charted my Divine Mother Zebrass remix in June, and dug Saharan Complex & Eres Tú, so I felt a bit on his radar. Still didn't stop me from celebrating when Brodinski tweeted me about scoring his #1 spot. I was thrilled, but more relieved since the tune I felt unsure about was better than I expected.

FJ: Working alongside multiple Australian labels, is there any plans to tour down under in the near future?
One of my life goals is to tour Australia, so I would definitely take any offers to play in the land down under. I hear nothing but great things about it!

FJ: What artist's tracks have you been smashing in the clubs lately? 
Kink, Julio Bashmore, Hugo, Frederico Locchi & UGLH, Edu Imbernon, Santos, Martinez, Radio Slave, & too many to name. With the exception of Julio Bashmore, all of these cats have been in the game for a while but they still dominate. Can't play a set without Santos - Hold Home & Freaks - UMakeNoSense (Radio Slave's Music For Freaks Remix) as of lately. 

FJ: Who do you consider the "one to watch" for 2010?
I predict after Kink's Dirtybird release he's gonna finally get the recognition he deserves. Also Lorcan Mak, Julio Bashmore, & my boy Dubbel Dutch. Indefinitely. 

FJ: Whats been the highlight to date for Mom&Dad? A crazy ass set or someone smashing your tune in an exotic location around the world?
Brodinski charting my Ja, Mann! Remix, Jaymo & Andy George supporing it on BBC Radio 1, & if I'm not mistaken, Jaimie Fanatic mentioned that this month's DJ Mag has a covermount cd with SonicC's 'Judas' Remix. Hopefully I'll have an original tune this year that gets the same recognition (laughs).  



FJ: Thanks for the chat mate, look forward to checking you out in the upcoming months!
Anytime, thanks!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My boy James!
LA's Buzz

TAST said...

Dope!

Anonymous said...

Keep The Interviews Coming!

Anonymous said...

New Label huh...Sounds Dope