PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

LUKI INTERVIEW


Anyone who rocks the Monastery on a weekend has a pretty fair idea who Luke Ellis' moniker is. The name Luki has become a trademark of the now famed Dirty Thursday posters - something the experienced local is quite happy with. Despite his experience taking him to all the premier hotspots around Brisbane and on a number of interstate ventures, Luki still calls Monastery home, with the relationship proving mutually beneficial for the two parties. We had a chat with the Brisbane DJ/Producer recently to find out how everything is going. 

You've been in the scene for quite awhile now, give us a run down of a few stand out memories!
Mate there are so many I just wouldn't know where to begin. Off the top of my head I would have to say my first ever set on a Thursday at Monastery. That was definitely one of the best nights of my life. Then after that I have to mention playing down in Sydney at Moulin Rouge. Playing in a different city for the first time is an experience thats for sure. Recently thought, the two stand out memories I have are definitely smashing it out at BBQ Beats and Parklife... Two of the best set's and times I have ever had!

What gets you going more - writing a great tune and getting it out there for the first time or playing in front of a big sweaty crowd?
I love dancing around the studio after writing something I like, but at that stage you still have no idea if people are going to like the track or not. Then when I actually play it out and see peoples reactions, provided it goes well - now that gets you going like crazy!

How is the production side of things going for you at the moment?
Really well actually. Doing lots of different stuff, plenty of remixes coming out across the board as well as a few originals. My newest tune 'Bounce' will be coming out in about a month or so with remixes by Hey Now (Sydney), our local boy Danny T, Benny Electric and also Rave Radio. Also, I am about to finish a tune with Ryan Riback from Melbourne and a few other artists so be sure to stay tuned!

Your a close set man without a doubt, how does it feel when they switch things up for you with an open?
(Laughs) I don't mind doing the 9-10 on occasions. It just means I have an early night and I actually wake up nice and refreshed the next day for once. Also it means I can play some different music for a change, but don't get me wrong, like you said I am a close set man through and through!

Do you have a stand out favourite in regards to a club night?
Mate I have always loved my Thursdays and Saturdays at the Monastery as they have always been consistant. On the other hand though, it's always great to play a festival or a Fuck Fluro!

Whats plans in the next few years for the Luki name?
I really just want to smash out some production as hard as I can. Getting plenty of tunes out there for everyone to enjoy is a big goal for me and something I'm really aiming for!

Any thanks and shout outs?
I have to thank all of my best friends, most of whom are DJ's, as they helped me get my feet steady. Also anyone and everyone at Monastery for everything they have done for me over the times.

Thanks for your time mate, looking forward to catching another set sometime soon!

Enjoy a few bootlegs ladies and gentleman. You can thank Luki at the links scattered around the post!


2 comments:

Jack said...

Very nice!

Top producer too

Anonymous said...

Good interview!