PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

Exclusive Mic Fresh Interview


Mic Fresh is not exactly new to the scene, but don't worry if you don't know his name. He's been around the block and he's worked with a few 'who's who' names in the past but it seems like he's due to blow up about now. While we're not going to sit here and turn this introduction into a history lesson, (the interview has all the Mic Fresh goodness you need) we will say the Mic Fresh name is plastered all over the Incredible Melting Man's new 'Jakin Da Filth' EP for his dirty and very, very catchy vocal work. The EP drops on Champion Beats Records on August 21st and we've got an exclusive interview with the man himself alongside previews of all the tracks from the EP, including remixes by Matt Cox, Royal K and Scissorkicks (find artist links at the bottom of this post), not forgetting the original by Incredible Melting Man feat Mic Fresh, which is a filthy and HUGE tune. Enjoy the interview, grab the tracks then jump on Beatport for the EP as soon as its out.

As another little treat, we've including Mic Fresh's latest mixtape, proving his DJ counterparts don't have him covered in that area. Its titled 'The Fresh Test' and its got a bunch of fun tunes to bang out after you've checked out the interview and the feature clips. Oh and in case your having some trouble, we (Fridge Jet) are in bold italics, Mic Fresh is in simple font. Enjoy the interview!



Ok lets cut to the chase. First of all, how about we get everyone into the world of Mic Fresh. How did it all get started and where did you come from? Chat about yourself for a bit!

Ahh how it all got started, haha. Well that's a serious history lesson right there. Lets just say I’ve been in the game for more then a minute and me and Anthony (The Incredible Melting Man), well you could say we've worked on some projects together in the past. Anyway, recently he asked me to swing by his place cause he was working on a new track that he wanted me to hear. I pop by his place and take a listen to what he’s working on and I really like the track. I run home, grab my mic, jam straight back to his place and spit some bars to compliment the filthy bass he’d been cooking up. After that he just works his usual magic and voila - Jakin Da Filth was born!


Sounds like it shot up pretty quickly man. So you’ve got some upcoming releases to really kick things off, tell us a little about what’s going on regarding that side of things?

Well as you already know, ‘Jakin the Filth’ is the jump off track. It’s a huge EP and Champion Beats have really put some effort in with a serious round of remixes to go with it. The 4 track EP features remixes by Matt Cox, Royal K and the almighty Scissorkicks who came out of retirement to drop us an exclusive remix! So yeah, this EP is real nice – it’s a great one to kick things off! As for the near future I have work with Jason Score from Champion Beats coming out as well as a track with Frederik Mooij from Loudroom Recordings. I’ve also got a bunch of unofficial stuff that’s around and in the works, I’ll keep you guys posted in regards to it all.

That’s a nice set of artists to say your going to be working with, looks like there’s some big things coming. Have you drawn inspiration from any particular vocalists lately, in fact, anyone in the scene that you really look up to?

Well I'm old school kat so most of my inspiration comes from early soul, funk, hip-hop and house. As for the scene I like the fact that more artists and producers are stepping outside of the regular genres and taking chances on new styles and sounds.


Agreed! How do you feel about some of the increasingly popular genres today, are you a fan of the tribal elements coming in? Think Major Lazer. Well actually, more importantly, Dubstep – love or hate?

I have only heard a handful of new songs with tribal elements going on, so I really don''t have an opinion on it besides that it seems like a summertime thing to me. As for Dubstep I would say I have a like and dislike relationship with it. When I first started hearing the down tempo cousin of D&B I was liking the new exploration of sound and music, it was something really cool. Now that it’s gotten popular it seems to be more of a sound that has lost its musical side. If I was to explore dubstep deeper I would definitely push the musical side more.

Yeh, lets hope it doesn’t pick up that repetitive nature that some of the other passing genres have. Can we see the Mic Fresh name popping up on an array of genres in the future?

Definitely. I listen to a wide variety of music, so I am open to working in different genres. Locking myself to one particular genre would get boring fast, so I’m looking forward to getting into a bunch of sounds.

Hope all the artists out there hear that. We’d love to see you laying down vocals on a variety of different sounds. So any dream collaborations your looking at getting going in the future?

Honestly I'm working with some great people now, however if the opportunity arose I'd like to do some stuff with the likes of Foamo, Laidback Luke or Diplo. My reasoning behind that line up would be the fact that none of them are afraid to push the envelope and I think that’s very important. I’m all about that.

Ahh that would be something to look forward to! Can we catch you doing any live performances any time soon?

Soon yes. Just looking at getting some more tracks together first, then we will defiantly kick off some live shows.


We’ll definitely keep a look out, be sure to fill us in. When it comes to live shows and all that, are you the performer type? Or would you consider yourself in your own element when chilling in a studio writing tunes?

I am performer. I love doing live shows and being one with the crowd. Walking off stage knowing you gave it your all and the crowd loved it is the best feeling for me.

It’s what makes a show. Ok so lets run with a few quick questions to finish up. Start with a bang, we’d put the difficulty level on this bad boy at around 9.5, but give it a shot. Favorite artist or producer at the moment?

Wow! That is a tough one because I like a lot of different artists and musicians. For now I would have to go with the producers I already mentioned (Laidback Luke, Diplo, Foamo) plus the Incredible Melting Man, the man behind ‘Jaking the Filth’.

Most likely place you’ll be if we can’t find you on a Saturday night?

Home. Chilling.


Best place to go for fans to have a chat with you on the good old world wide web?

They can check me out on my Facebook fan page - Mic Fresh (this link here).

Thanks for the time mate, awesome tunes and be sure to keep in touch in the future.

Thanks for having me!

BONUS: Mic Fresh's latest mixtape as promised. Its got tunes by the likes of Foamo, Laidback Luke, Kidda, Micheal Jackson, The Incredible Melting Man and MSTRKRFT. Get funky! If you want the full tracklist we will post it in the comments, or it is available of Mic Fresh's Facebook page.

Mic Fresh - The Fresh Test Mixtape (July 2009)

No comments: